About Commissioner’s Office
Commissioner’s Office This colonial building, in the east of the Golghar houses, the office of the commissioner of Patna Division is situated. A simple structure, its attraction comes from the detailing like the use of voids, cutouts, depressions and semi-circular arches in the façade. It is a balanced composition of mass and void and its colonial look comes with the highlighted projecting quoins at the angles. This building was built during 1857-58.
The residential quarter of the Commissioner of the Patna division was in opposite of the commissioner’s office in the present A.N.Sinha Institute Complex and was known as Peach’s Bungalow. In the 1850s, William Tayler used the bungalow as the commissioner’s office. Later, it became the commissioner’s residence from the time of E.A.Sammuel.
The whole area around the commissioner’s compound was originally the site of Bankipore Village and the adjacent southern village was called Jaibarpur. In the medival period both names were amalgamated and come to be known as Bankipur Jaibar. The old records reveal that the area was occasionally used as a camping ground. It was in this area that Emperor Akbar camped along with his soldiers in 1574. It was here that Aliwardi Khan assembled his troops before marching against Sarafraz Khan in 1740.
After the British conquest, it was a cantonment before Danapur was made a military station. While occupied by the third Brigade in 1776, part of the cantonment was burnt down and the occurrence led to the ‘White Mutiny,’ which Robert Clive Suppressed.